Friday, May 11, 2012

The Beauty and The Beast

Speaking of Disney, I thought for my first real post I would put up one of my illustrations that I created in Photoshop. I am inspired by all sorts of fairy tales, Brother's Grimm being my favorite. I grew up on the Disney films of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid and simply adored the recent animated feature Tangled, and so the world of true love, faerie, magic, and pretty damsels has always been a part of my daydreams. I am also inspired by the work of 18th Century illustrator Arthur Rackham who did many illustrations for fairy tales, Shakespeare, mythology, Alice in Wonderland, and more. If you google his work you will see that his work is simply exquisite and full of life, romance, and movement.
    As for my image that I created, I always like to work in dark, muted tones with one or two rich colors for emphasis. In this image it is the use of the red against the dark blues and greens to bring out the angst of this story. My idea was to show the isolation that the beast feels from Beauty in the beginning of the story by the way they are standing separately with Beauty turned away from him. His beastly nature, as well as his appearance, separates him from her and so she stands aside in a sort of melancholy beauty that is untouchable to the beast as he sneaks a timid gaze in her direction. I painted the beast in the same colors as the background so that he fades away as Beauty stands out in vibrant red; the same red of the famed roses. Her being clothed in red also symbolizes who Beauty is becoming for the beast, a lovely rose who has captured his heart. I hope you enjoy this one. I have also added parts of the beginning sketch that I did for this piece. I always work from sketches first and then bring it all into Photoshop.



2 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Danielle! I like how they each have their own rose - Beast holding one rose in his right hand, Beauty's is tucked close to her. And Beast's palette of cold makes Beauty's bright red warmth even more desirable. I like the soft ambiance of this picture too. The light shining on them is very mystifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nolan! :) Your comment is very constructive. ;) I didn't notice that they each have their own rose, it was simply part of my design. Very cool. I am glad you like the atmosphere of the piece. I love creating strong ambiance in my images!

      Delete