Sunday, May 13, 2012

Elijah: A Graphic Novel

    Well, I thought that since I finished the cover art, I would share with everyone a current project that I am working on. It is a graphic novel that I have begun working on for the last several months. I have always loved the graphic novel as a medium of storytelling. For me it is movie concept art come to life on the page or an illustrative story told cinematically. For those of you who may not know what a graphic novel is, it is like a glorified comic book. The medium has gained much popularity in recent years and movies like 300, Sin City, and Road to Perdition were all graphic novels adapted to screen. They tend to be much darker in content, i.e. very adult material, and usually have full length stories rather than episodic stories like Marvel comics. I think that the concept of a graphic novel holds so much potential, but I have not been impressed by any of them that are on the shelves, unfortunately. Either the stories or the artwork (or both!) tend to be below average and no one seems to have the vision to really take advantage that the medium gives. Japanese artists who create their own version of graphic novels called Manga understand the medium much more than Westerners do, but even then, the stories don't really strike my interest.
    So, I decided that I would create the graphic novel I would like to see on shelves and would myself buy, and thus, Elijah the prophet via graphic novel was born. I do have my own stories that I would like to make into original graphic novels, but for now I decided to start small and work my way up in difficulty level. Why did I choose this particular story? This story is from 1 Kings 18 of the Bible, and it is during the early days of Israel around 9th Century B.C. During this time Israel's current king is Ahab, a man who the Bible says "did evil in the sight of the LORD, more than all who were before him." He married a wicked woman Jezabel and she brought in all the false deities of her culture, of Baal and Asherah, which Ahab willingly worshiped and lead all of Israel to worship. It is during this time then that prophets of the one true God where persecuted and Elijah was one of the few who still remained faithful. In chapter 18 of Kings he confronts Ahab and all the false prophets, bringing them to shame, and he slaughters all the false prophets before Ahab, declaring Yahweh (God) the God of Israel. I love reading the stories of the prophets in the Old Testament, and I was instantly struck by the fact that these stories could be told in a very cinematic way. We love stories of one man against the odds, fighting for truth and justice, whether it be in comic books or westerns. Here are stories in Scripture that tell of real life occurrences of men finding themselves against their culture, government, and even against the very people of their country whom they desire to see set free. These are also men of power and faith, sought out, hated, and feared; men who by the power of prayer to God, healed the sick, raised the dead, challenged kings, and escaped dangerous circumstances. It all sounds rather romantic, but it is all there in Scripture! It is my desire, then, to showcase the glory of God through this medium that can be enjoyed by all. Here is the cover of this graphic novel, which will probably be around 22-25ish pages long. It is my intention to post something every five pages that I complete, so hopefully I will be able to do that. Haha. I hope you all enjoy this and please come back for more information on this project! (You can click on the image to see a larger version!)


5 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to see true artistic effort put into illustrating Scripture. So much out there is overly-cartoonish and doesn't capture the reality and emphasis of the stories in the Bible. But then again, they're often made for only young children. It will be neat to see one that is geared toward an older audience as well as young without becoming intensely cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nolan! I hope to be able to create something truly beautiful that expresses the glory of God in some small way. It is sad how Scripture is cartoonish/cheesy in many art mediums. I don't even think it should be that way for kids! Hopefully, one day that will change!

      Delete
  2. Hiya! Thought I'd already commented here. Anyway congrats on your shiny new blog! I love what you did with the Elijah sketch you showed me at Gotham! Your color choices are really cool, the dark brown contrasting with the warm reds and yellows. That title font works really well too. Anyway...congrats again...looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeff! Yes, I really like how the cover came out as well. I am glad you like it! I have been working on the first 5 pages, and it has been slightly frustrating with artist dilemmas! Haha. I really want to be able to take advantage of the summer break as much as I can! Anyway, I hope your summer is going good for you! Thanks for coming to my blog!

      Delete