Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Planet-Sized World Layered in the Brain

Deeper by Audrey Kawasaki
Helloooo. Before the lovely month of February ends I wanted to give an update on the recent goings on here in my artist world. I've mostly been very busy with preparing for Phoenix Comicon 2014 (yay!). I'm really excited about it and all that I'll get to offer. Meanwhile, check out my Elijah: A Graphic Novel Facebook and Twitter! Also, check out The Sting Chronicles (Facebook/Twitter), because exciting things are going on there as well!

For this post, however, I wanted to focus on the latest project that I'm working on. It is collaboration with my friend Brittany Ward. She's going to be publishing a book of her poetry and I'll be designing it as well as adding in a few illustrations! I'm thrilled to be doing this for her. It has long been our plan that if she would ever publish her work, she would want me to do the artwork for it, and now it is going to be a reality! I have always been very much inspired by her poetry and a great admirer of her work. Her poetry is filled with vivid and poignant imagery of space, the extraterrestrial, and the love of all sciences, biology, physics, astronomy, etc. It spans macro and micro spaces of the universe while remaining intimate and personal, conveying deep longings, hushed wonder, and beautiful, though often times sorrowful, inner worlds. Her work has such strong visuals and concepts that make my mind alive with the powerful and surreal images. My desire is to create images that will really display her beautiful work, capturing the feelings of the words as well as my own feelings as I've read them. An artist who has rather inspired the direction I wanted to go in is Audrey Kawasaki. Both Brittany and I really love her work. Her style is unique, otherwordly, bizarre, introspective, and atmospheric. Some of the emotions that are evoked her artwork are very similar to the ones that come from Brittany's poetry. Here is some more of Kawasaki's work:

Left: Inside Me Still
Right: Offering
(Inspired by an Asian artist yet again!)
I love the movement in her pieces, the surrealistic flow of shapes one into another, her muted tones, and sultry and dreamy atmosphere. Kawasaki also likes to paint many of her pieces on wood surfaces, which adds to the organic flow of her work. I really wanted to capture that same lyrical movement in my own illustrations, delving deep into the poetry's words to bring out the vibrancy of life that dwells within them, a lilting, celestial cadence to the brain.

I've only just begun work on it, but I wanted to show the beginnings of what will later be the book cover. I shall be piecing them together and applying a little Photoshop magic! For now enjoy these snippets and be looking forward to this lovely book of poetry by Brittany Ward, entitled A Planet-Sized World Layered in the Brain, which shall be available for purchase!



Thoughts slowly drip through

A calcified membrane

A stalactite accrues

Decades of memories 

Layered in the brain

Layered in the Brain by Brittany Ward


He makes everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3:11

3 comments:

  1. I definitely see Audrey Kawasaki's influence, although with that flowing and dreamy sense of movement inherent in most of your art :) I am so excited, and also very impressed with that endorsement! I feel like I need to start writing better poetry in order to be worthy of it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! So excited for both of you! This is going to be awesome! I will be the first to buy a copy!!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are so fascinating! These pictures really do fit with Brittany's poetry. I love your description of her poetry, too. Keep me updated on where/when her book of poems are available! :)

    ReplyDelete