Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Elijah A Graphic Novel: The Big August Preview

Hello, my loyal followers! I'm excited to announce for this month a big preview of my graphic novel I'm working on! Most of you know about it and I've posted several blog posts explaining my thought process and artistic choices. For those of you who may not know, stumbling upon my blog for the first time, Elijah: A Graphic Novel is an artistic adaptation of the story of Elijah the Prophet from the Bible, specifically 1 Kings 18. It is when the country of Israel, ruled by a disobedient king named Ahab, is under the thrall of false gods, the gods of Baal and Asherah. Elijah, a prophet of God, confronts the king and his false prophets with a contest in order to establish the one true God in Israel. They'll make two alters with a sacrifice, one to Baal/Asherah and one to God, and whoever's god answers by fire, he would be the true God of Israel. I chose this particularly story as my first graphic novel because I loved the imagery; the fire, the violence, and ultimately the dramatic answer. It is one man and his faith vs an entire country, its government, and established religion. The dichotomous interplay that happens is so starkly addressed in Scripture and I love that contrast between these two fractions. It is powerful. And I love the simplicity of the Scripture itself, as I chose to tell the story with just straight Scripture. This is because it enables me to really focus on the themes of the story and the symbolism of my images. My hope is to bring emphasis to this dramatic confrontation through my imagery and really convey the heart and ultimately the glory that lies behind this story.

I am now presenting a very special preview of my graphic novel! It has taken me quite awhile to get through these pages and my hope is to finish this graphic novel by next year. With this preview I hope to inspire all my viewers and followers and to show them just a fraction of what the finish product will be like. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait. Thank you so much for your support! Click on the image to see the PDF preview of my graphic novel! Please let me know in the comments if you have trouble viewing it. Enjoy!

Elijah: A Graphic Novel Copyright 2012 Danielle Pajak Illustrations

He makes everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3:11

4 comments:

  1. This is stunning! You have a beautiful and dramatic artistic ability that suits this story perfectly. I can't wait to see the completed novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! I'm glad you think so! I cannot wait to see the completed novel myself, haha. Got to keep plugging away at it. :-) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, as usual, Danielle! I'm sure it looks even better in person, since as I remember, the colors were even more vibrant and contrasts more apparent in person than on the computer screen. I love the patterns in the fire. I've never seen fire drawn quite like that, although it has kind of a Hokusai feel to it; the way he drew ocean waves, giving something inorganic an organic quality, the way you did with the fire. Anyway, hope you're doing well! Love the Daneel/Elijah manga style art you sent me! We need to get in touch with an anime production studio in Japan and beg them to make an Asimovian anime, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment here too! ;-) I'm glad you loved it! It was a lot of work to get these 20 pages ready, but I wanted something to showcase, to give people an idea of how the graphic novel is going to look even as I am still creating it. I've been able to make more progress since posting this, so I am happy with what I've been able to do so far! Very excited. And yes! You aren't the only one who has made the comment about it having the feel of Hokusai, with the organic waves. Japanese artwork is always inspiring for me and what I draw a lot of reference from for my own work. Yes, it would so awesome if I could work on an anime one day! Better yet, an Asimovian anime! Adapting the Robot series or the Foundations series to an anime? Now that would be epic! It would be a dream come true! Maybe one day I could make that happen. One day. . . ;-)

      Delete