Sunday, January 10, 2016

Infinity's End: A Graphic Novel

Dr. Josef Sarton my protagonist.
"He has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end." - Ecclesiastes 3:11

Hellooooooo. *echo echo echo* Hey, everyone. It has been an age it seems since I've updated my blog. Dust has been gathering upon these lonely pages. It has been for a good cause, though, since I have been quite busy with all sorts of work, projects, and art pieces that I haven't had any time to write a good blog post. Alas. That's why it is a good idea to follow me on my Twitter or Instagram or Facebook, as I post more regularly there about my current projects as well as any random thoughts I might have on the angst of being an artist or most likely, just my geeking out about science and current tv shows I'm watching. I also post about local events that I am attending, i.e. book signings and art festivals. That's actually been one of the main reasons I've been quite busy: PROMOTION. It has been a journey and I hope to one day write a blog post about it, but currently I'm just trying to stay afloat in the sea of media that is out there. Few more things to mention before I move on to my topic, if you aren't aware of this already, I have a Square Store, where I have various art items for sale. Most of it is Marvel-based artwork, with a smattering of Sherlock Holmes and my own original art. So, please, check it out! And always keep an eye out for sales or giveaways! Then, there is Elijah: A Graphic Novel, which is now available on Amazon. Free shipping! It is actually a better deal than going through Blurb.com because of the free shipping. And finally, the book of poetry by Brittany Ward that I collaborated on, A Planet-Sized World Layered in the Brain, though still available for print on Lulu.com, is on Amazon Kindle now for $5! So, please, peruse and check those things out!

art by Joey Camacho
I shall now direct your attention hither to my latest project of love, my newest graphic novel, Infinity's End. If you have been following my blog then you might have seen posts where I've done character concepts and illustrations based on this story, and where most of my time is spent geeking out about quantum physics. Yep, I'm still at it. This project is going to be the biggest and most challenging I've done yet, but I'm so excited. It is a story that has evolved and grown for quite some time ever since I finished reading Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity. This story was directly inspired from that book, the little seed that has now grown into this epic tale of illumination and quantum physics. I can't even remember how it all began, exactly, but thanks to my friend (they aformentioned Brittany Ward), I fell in love with quantum physics and science fiction, and decided that the story that had been ruminating in my brain would be a perfect candidate for expressing all that I love about both topics. Quantum physics is the foundational structure and conceptual inspiration for Infinity's End, and this is very intentional. For one, in pop culture, quantum physics is usually regulated to something that explains weird and inexplicable phenonmenon and nothing more. People with teleportation powers? Because quantum physics. Parallel worlds converging? Because quantum physics. How does this high tech machinary work? Doesn't matter, because quantum physics. I don't mind that necessarily, since sci fi usually likes to explore more epic concepts like black holes, time travel, and other dimensions, but it doesn't even try to break down quantum physics into something applicable for a story, which I think is unfortunate. Though, I was actually rather impressed that Marvel's Antman kind of went there, (of all movies!) where at the end, Scott goes quantum in order to go through objects. I loved the mystery and the suspense they created surrounding it, especially since Hope Van Dyne's mother was lost to the quantum world during one of her missions, not being able to return. That was one of my favorite things! I hope in the next Antman they will explore this concept more and we'll learn exactly what happened to the original Wasp.
This book is awesome!
You should read it right now!

Anyway, so I thought there was so much untapped potential in bringing the science of quantum physics into a story. I mean, it is just a gold mine of concepts, really. Our reality at the smallest of levels is incredibly bizarre, wonderfully mysterious, and so counter-intuitive to how we perceive reality from day to day. It is shocking, beautiful, and exciting! And it is the clearest explaination of the universe, as the classic form of mechanics, the movement and interactions of large objects that we see and experiece, is only a part of a deeper reality. For example, what we understand as a solid, like a table or a tree, is not "solid" in how we conceptualize it, for most of what we see is made up of mostly empty space and energy. An aspect of what makes something "solid" or gives something "volume" is that certain types of electrons that surround the atom's nucleus cannot occupy the same quantum state as other types of electrons at the same time. This is call the Pauli exclusion principle. A very simplified explaination, but this why we don't fall through surfaces, because of the electrons' repulsive force against eachother that keeps macro-sized objects from occupying the same place at the same time. This is made even more astounding by the fact that while reading the above explaination, you are imagining an electron as an object in of itself, a single entity, just like you or me, but it isn't. It actually takes on a wave-function, which means while we are prohibited from doing strange things like occupying eachother's space at the same time, the electron is not so finite! An electron (as all sub-atomic particles) exists in a superposition state, which means it doesn't have a set point in space, but is spread out like a wave, and this wave isn't like a water wave, a physical wave in space, but a probability wave. It is an abstract, mathematical estimation of finding the electron within any given point in space. Reality, then, at the quantum level, becomes very fuzzy! Yet, it is amazing because it is that ambiguous and nebulous quality of matter that enables the tangible nature of our reality to work. So, you could say that our understanding of reality is shaped by quantum physics, which is, in of itself, entirely the opposite of that understanding! It is mind-boggling!

Also, read this book.
Because science.
And that is what I love about studying quantum physics. It forces you take what you had perceived of reality and turn it on its head, look at reality from another perspective. It this aspect that has inspired me for my graphic novel, where I want to explore this idea of what it truly means to understand reality, as my main character, my somber little physicist, searches for the ultimate answer to universe. I cannot wait to share this story with you all!

Oh, and before I end, I want to give a shout out to another book, Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. This book is amazing! Seeing as my graphic novel is so heavily reliant on science, I've been giving myself crash courses in quantum physics, and I came across this lovely book. Lisa Randall is a theoretical physicist and particle physics expert, and there has been no one that I have come across who explains the strange world of quantum mechanics quite like her. I was actually able to understand so much of what other science popularizers had just taken for granted. She defined particles and what they were for, took the time to explain very complex aspects and problems of particle physics, and gave fuller understanding to popular scientific theories of today. Through her book I was able to realize that I had no real concept of what "mass" truly was and she gave me a better sense of what the Higgs boson actually was. (The Higgs boson is what gives elementary particles their mass). She also gave her own theory for gravity (the only force that has not been quantized or made to fit within the quantum mechanical framework, i.e. we haven't found a gravity particle), which was fascinating and evocative to the imagination. I highly reccommend this book if you are interested in diving into quantum mechanics. However, I suggest also that this not being your only introduction to the material, as I found that it helped to have familiarity with it already. Quantum physics is some pretty heavy stuff! And just when you think you have grasp of it, you end up realizing that you actually don't. It's so fun!
Robert Fludd, English physcian.
Utriusque Cosmi (History of the Two Worlds) 1621
Pretty etching.

Anyway, so that's my latest update, and without much further ado, I present to you my tumblr website for Infinity's End, which is the whole point of this long-winded post. Now, I decided that instead of debuting this graphic novel in published form, I am first going to be releasing it as a web comic, and instead of releasing a page a week, I'm going to be releasing a chapter every two weeks, and this is where I'm going to be doing it. I just found Tumblr to be the easiest platform to do this in, and it would give people a chance to share through reblogs. For now, though, you can peruse through character pages and through a brief history of my world that I have created. I have character drawings up, as well as an artistic diagram of a model of the universe that I created specifically for this story. If you are confused by any terms that I use throughout the material, I also have a glossary where you can look up definitions. I'm going to be continually adding to this glossary as I write, since not only would it help with explaining the material I create, but it will also educate people on scientific concepts, which I think is important! So, it is my hope that you enjoy this. Unfortunately, it shall be a long, long while before I can get my graphic novel going because of all the work that is involved, but if you follow my graphic novel on Twitter and Facebook, you'll be able to stay up-to-date with the latest! I will also post any concept art that I do as I am forming my universe and story, so you won't miss out on anything! ;-) Well, thank you for reading! Click the link below to find our more about Infinity's End and discover the beauty of science and the Unknownable...






He makes everything beautiful in its time . . . Ecclesiastes 3:11

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Happy for all this news, of course. :-D Love the page for Infinity's End. Can't wait for it!

    And weird, I just checked in a Lisa Randall book here at work like 2 seconds before I read your post. Hmmm. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now saw your comment! That is funny! She is getting quick popular as a science popularist, which is cool. And thanks! I'm glad you love it. :)

      Delete